Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September 26

Hey y'all!


It's been a good week to report in Salisbury. We worked hard and had good happy attitudes in the things we were able to be part of. On Thursday we got to do another Sisters exchange for the day. Sis. Elliff along with another young sister in the mission were invited to a Leadership Training Meeting. So I got to go with Sis. Scott to Tanglewood for the day. We traveled early and got home late but we were happy. Here are two of my favorite things that happened while I was there.....First, we were tracting and knocked on the door of this very kind Hindu woman. We ended up just talking with her about her life for a few minutes. She really opened up about how she had just been to India to visit family. She was married in an arranged married and had come to the United States about 17 years ago. She doesn't get to go home and visit very often. She'd been sent to Catholic school in India even though they were Hindu. She kept saying I'm sorry for talking so much I don't know why I'm doing that. It isn't something I usually do, talking to strangers. She also said that normally she doesn't open the door to new people. She usually says she's not interested and then shuts the door, but something told her to open the door. She said that three times with a far off look in her eyes, "something told me open the door." Nothing happened as of yet, but it was still a really uplifting experience. Then as we were walking back to the car a little girl came running down her driveway. She looked upset like maybe she had just gotten in trouble. She stood near the end of her driveway and crossed her arms with this sour look on her face. We said hi to her but she just frowned. Then I asked her if she wanted a pretty picture. She nodded. So we walked over and gave her a card with a picture of the Savior on the front. She just starred and starred. I asked her if she loved Jesus and she nodded again. Then she took off running down her drive again and stopped a few times to turn around and wave and smile! It was sooo cute. It was like she remembered him from the premortal life.

Then when we came back to Salisbury we were tracting on Saturday and an elderly lady opened her door. At first she said she was Baptist and we didn't agree so we could go on our way. But we just started talking to her about her day and before you knew it she was telling us if we were ever back that we could always come to her house if we needed a safe place to be and that she'd protect us. Then we said a prayer together holding hands in a circle and gave her big hugs when we left. We felt so good to have made a new friend in Virginia:)

I hope everyone is getting ready for General Conference and preparing to be spiritually fed. I am looking so forward to it.

I love the gospel and I love being a missionary.

Love y'all,

Sis. Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment