It's been another great and surprisingly fast week here in Dobson! It is already week # 6 of being here in the beautiful state of NC. It's transfer week! I am however, going no where. So that's good. Packing is a pain and I don't want to do that yet. Only one Elder from our district is getting transferred. This week we started teaching Jamie's wife, Nicole, the lessons again. I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but she had her records removed a few years ago. However, in the beautiful plan of it all she is wanting to come back. Her baptismal date is for September 18th. I love their family. They are hilarious. Jamie is a crack up. He's doing wonderful. He bore his testimony in church yesterday. He grew up Southern Baptist and through many circumstances came to know the truth. He had a beautful testimony of Joseph Smith. He also received the Aaronic Priesthood and was ordained to the office of a Priest. Their family is really blossoming. He let us come in when he was ordained.
We're still teaching Helen. Helen is a bright spot in my week. Even her family members are nice to us. She has 3 grown children. 2 daughters and 1 son. They are all really kind to us even though they don't believe what we say. So I appreciate that. Timmy is Helen's son. He's kind of mentally handicapped. He comes up to stay with her on the weekends and demands a lot of her time even though she is older. That is part of the problem in getting her to church. I really hope she can progress more, but we still teach her. I have to remember it's not my timing though. She always says she'll miss us so much when we leave, and I know I will miss her. I'll attach some pictures of her. She's a doll.
We have a new investigator named Jessie. She's hispanic and she's awesome! She is a single mom with a 4 year-old son named Giovani. She has had a rough and hard past. The first 2 times we met with her she pretty much just unloaded her troubles on us and we just listened. She is lonely and doesn't have many close people to talk to. However, we gave her a pamphlet on the Restoration to read. She did and we watched the Restoration DVD the next time we saw her. She said she felt peace and love and happiness. Even before we actually got to talk about anything much related to the gospel she said her weeks had gone better since just seeing us. She knew we were happy and it helped her. She said she had been a sad person who was grumpy and now people were noticing a change in her from the spirit. She also has a wonderful testimony of prophets. It's amazing to see different perspectives. A woman was out painting a porch and Sis. Flynn and I talked with her. She was pretty defensive about the fact we didn't need a modern day prophet and that she could go directly to Jesus Christ for anything she needed. We talked about how prophets of old helped prepare us for Christ's first coming and they help us to prepare for his second coming today. Then when we talked to Jessie about prophets she asked, "Didn't Christ have 12 apostles when he was alive?" We told her yes and that he does today. She says I belive dat is tru. In her broken english. She said it made sense it would be the exact same way. She also said prophets help get us ready for when Christ comes again. It was amazing to see 2 different people's perspectives! Yes, Jessie that is true!
We drive a white car and the Elders named her Calamity! I can't help but think of Calamity Jane! Whip crack away whip crack away whip crack away. We also have another new bug friend. Named Big Mama. It is a HUGE spider that sits right outside our window every night on her web and then goes away in the mornings. I've never seen one so big. But my pictures don't do justice. She's nasty.
One of the members in our branch told us about a funny sign that they saw somewhere on a baptist church. It said "Don't read and pray about the Book of Mormon. That's how they get ya!"
Well everyone I hope you're doing great! Keep being strong in the truths that you know. Share it with others even though it can be scary! We can't just sit back we have to be active members, that is our duty because we have the truth!
Love ya'll
Sis Erickson
| Love the sign |
| Helen, a prospect, and Sis. Jeurd |
No comments:
Post a Comment