Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Missionaries = Chili cook off judges?

Hey Everyone!


It's been a good week in Dobson for Sis. Flynn and I. It's gotten a lot chillier and we've got our coats and scarves on. Wearing a skirt isn't exactly prime for chilly wind, but I'm not frozen yet:) Today it's like a tropical heat wave though. Nice and warm and sunny. That's good though because we're going mini golfing as a district. Some of the neat and fun things that happened this week all seemed to occur over the weekend. On Saturday night they had the annual Dobson branch chili cook off! The men in the branch make chili and the women make desserts. Who judges this cook off might you ask??? That's right the missionaries! If y'all have seen the Grinch think of when he judges all the food contests and you'll know how we felt. 12 different types of chili and 4 different desserts later...oh and throw some corn bread and rice in the mix and we were happy full and slightly sick ha ha. There were plenty of spicy chili types and one even had curry in it. I've never known you could make so many different kinds. I don't even like milk but I was drinking it quite a bit in between one cup of chili and the next!

Then on Sunday 2 of the Recent Converts, Brooke and Travis bore their testimony. It was so cool! Brooke is only 13. Then that afternoon when we went tracting and found a really wonderful family. The mom is Sherrie and she has 2 children, Hanna who is 19, and Ethan who is in first grade. Ethan has Downs Syndrome. She just asked if we wanted to come in and so we did. We got to talk and get to know them more. They are a great family and would make perfect members of the church. They haven't been really religious for a long time but their background is Baptist. Sherrie said she tried to read the bible but it was difficult to understand. When we explained what the Book of Mormon is and she read the introduction she thought it was really neat and said she thinks everyone should read it. We have an appointment to go back and see them on Wednesday! Both Sis. Flynn and I said we kept praying so hard that the spirit would touch her and she would want to learn more. Ethan is sooooo cute! He kept calling us sweet hearts and telling us he dressed up as Dr. Love for Halloween! I'm so excited. We have truly been blessed to find so many wonderful people to teach and get to love. Beth has been sick so we haven't been able to teach her yet but we're going back this week~

I know that God lives and that Jesus Christ lives. They want us to be happy and we can only be truly happy in following their commandments and doing what we know to be right and then after that nothing else really matters.

Have a great week y'all!

Love, Sis. Erickson

PS. Sorry I didn't take any pictures this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment